Where would you go this holiday? Whether you’re flying in to Dallas or flying out, it’s hard not to love Dallas Love Field.
One of my favorite movies every – especially at the holidays, is Love Actually.
While the characters are witty and the humor is spot on, that opening moment of the movie where everyone is at the airport gets me every time. In just one place, there is so much love of dear ones being reunited after traveling, there’s so much sadness as someone gives that last hug before not seeing them for a long time, there’s the adventure of the first-timer nervously awaiting to board the plane, and the big sigh of relief that comes from that busy person who finally is getting a chance to take that long-awaited vacation. And if you’ve ever been present to see a soldier run to meet his family after months of being on the front lines to fight our country, you’ll shed more than a tear, just as I am thinking about it as I write this post.
The airport is a magical place and for many of the people that work there, that makes them magical, too. Giving guidance to anxious travelers, bumping up the newlyweds to first-class for a memory that will last a lifetime, and putting the wings on an eager little boy as he takes a trip to Disney World. Those are all moments that don’t just make an impact, but also will be remembered sometimes more so than the fancy vacation you went on.
Living in Dallas Fort Worth, we don’t have just one airport to create these moment in – we have two that are home to big names in the aviation business including Southwest Airlines. I can give you a long list of reasons why I love Southwest Airlines (let’s start with the leadership of Herb Kelleher), but when it comes to flying in Dallas, it’s hard not to love Love Field. Whether you’re flying out or flying home, one walk through Love Field, you’ll know why…well why it’s love at first flight. (Get ready for the puns, people.)
10. Proximity. Need to catch a plane at any time of the day, just a few miles and you’re there, through security, and ready to board. And while passengers are the name of their game, they care about their neighbors, too.
9. Cheap airfare. Actually to use the new Southwest Airlines term, tranFAREncy, the airlines that are operated at Love Field, including Southwest Airlines, work to be low-cost providers. Gotta love how fair they are about fares!
8. Pet Love. I mean really love pets. Enough so they’ve even built a place for your pets to go when they need to go.
7. Parking is easy. Well no parking at the airport is easy, but as far as airports go, this one makes it hard to beat to park your car and deliver you to the door. Can we suggest a Love Connection?
6. Big D Shopping. People come to Big D to shop and you can start as soon as you get off the plane. Really. Cowboy boots? Billy Bob’s is ready to fit your feet. Yoga pants? Soybu BLISS gets you in sun salutation in no time flat. Cool kid souvenir? It’s obvious Creative Kidstuff has a gift with your name on it.
5. Love Field Art Program. When else do you have 30+ minutes to just stop and enjoy beautiful works of art than at the airport! Throughout the airport you’ll find several beautiful pieces as well as along the walls, but also a true gallery space called the Love Field Art Program free of charge.
4. Lil’ Love Lounge. Adults get restless at airports, but kids are the worst – and you can’t blame them. That’s why Love Field created a space called the Lil’ Love Lounge to let them play and get out all that energy before they board the plane and make it a long ride for everyone. (Gotta love that, right?)
3. Food Fantasy. Is it wrong that I would seriously consider saying “is it worth a cheap ticket” just to get passed security to eat at Love Field? It’s got everything you could want that makes Dallas what it is from Whataburger, Dickey’s, and legendary Campisi’s to the acclaimed Sky Canyon by Stephan Pyles and beloved Cool River Cafe. There are 20 places to eat and drink while at Love Field including a wine bar. (Love!)
2. Customer Service. It can’t be beat at Love Field. We’ll maybe it can, but smiling faces, personality and just doing the thing that’s right to make your day special is what Southwest Airlines has long been known for. So much so they made a TV show about it. I mean people actually want to be here and will give their time to help you out if you ever come to visit. Get Lost in Love with their volunteer program. (Don’t you just love the name?)
1. It’s called Love Field! Just look at the tail on the plane or the sign on the door, you can’t help but love it when you see a heart and know it’s love.
You could win $5,000 gift card from Southwest Airlines and Ritz when you enter the #LuvRitzSweepstakes right now – Jan. 31, 2016 by sharing! To get the full contest rules and instructions go to LuvRitz.com right now and while you’re there, vote for your favorite Ritz creation (I’m loving the Jamaica Coconut Pineapple Cheesecake!)