Tired of buying snacks that you know are full of extra ingredients your family doesn’t need? Then try these Healthy 2 Ingredient Fruit Leather rolls using only applesauce, cinnamon and just a little bit of wait time.
Between afterschool snack, after homework snack, before dinner snack, and whatever in between snack, are you kids always eating a snack? Mine too.
However, reading the ingredient list doesn’t always make me happy or neither does looking at my grocery receipt.
So we took matters in to our own hands to figure out what snacks my kids loved could be made a little bit easier and a little bit healthier.
After many recipes, modifications and more mess ups, I found out one of my kids favorite snacks, fruit leather, was nothing but two ingredients and a lot of time in the oven. But when they were done, I could actually package them up so they could package them up to be easy pack and go with a little wax paper.
All you need to make is a little time at the house so you can make sure to be around after 8-10 hours in the oven.
I know – crazy right? If you have food dehydrator you can make this recipe there or the good ole fashioned way, in the oven.
- 24 ounces organic applesauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Set the oven to 150-170 degrees (mine only went to 170F.)
- Lay a silicone baking mat or parchment paper onto a cookie sheet.
- Measure 1 cup of applesauce and mix with cinnamon in a bowl, set aside.
- Pour the rest of the applesauce onto the set pan and spread thinly across pan. (Use a rubber spatula to help spread.)
- Next, use your cinnamon mixture, thinly layer lines of cinnamon applesauce onto the pan. (Looks a little like a tiger design now.)
- Next tap the pan gently on the counter to make everything is even.
- Play tray in oven and cook for 8-9 hours or until the applesauce is dried completely and the color has lost any sheen to it.)
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Using a knife to cut into strips and roll up.
- Store fruit leathers in an airtight container.