When it comes to cleaning mamachallenge.com is always on a mission to find the easiest, quickest and most efficient way to get things spic and span so you can get to the things that really matter…like old episodes of Sex in the City and your pint of cafe au lait flavored gelato.
When we brought up the topic of vacuums, I received tons of very passionate answers about what is the best (and worst) vacuum. But in efforts to not just take one’s opinion, we decided to take this mamachallenge head on to decide what is the best vacuum cleaner with our own tests.
Working to be very scientific, we tested four vacuums in our special laboratory (i.e. my house) to see which vacuums didn’t suck…well in this case, did suck… but isn’t that the point? And we included links in case you wanted more info (and some of them are affiliate links.)
Roomba Vacuum Cleaning Robots, $399.99 – $699.99
First off came my new best friend, iRobot AKA Roomba. Many people said they couldn’t live without Roomba, so I was ready to see what he could really do. So I charged him up and let him go, literally. This circle-shaped robot does all the work for you with a scheduling mechanism, can be contained to one area and even talks to you. After one time around, I was pretty sure why everyone had a personalized named for their Roomba – he was like a new best friend.
- AeroForce Performance Cleaning System delivers maximum cleaning performance by combining the power of new AeroForce Extractors with airflow acceleration and a high efficiency vacuum plus is virtually maintenance free.
- iAdapt Responsive Navigation Technology enables Roomba to find its way around any shape or size of home, covering every area of floor multiple times for a complete clean.
- iRobot XLife Extended Life Battery delivers twice as many cleaning cycles as previous Roomba batteries, doubling the time before you may need to replace your Roomba battery.
- Scheduling enables you to preset Roomba to clean when it is most convenient for you, up to seven times a week.
- Automatic Docking returns Roomba to its Home Base to recharge between cleaning sessions.
Eureka Brushroll Clean with SuctionSeal Bagless Upright Vacuum, $198 (only at Walmart)
When I was growing up we had a Eureka and I’m pretty sure my mom still has it somewhere in the back closet as it become part of the family. But this definitely isn’t my old Eureka. This one has all kinds of bells and whistles!
For me with a head full of hair and my dog Birddie, this vacuum was magical because it has a self-cleaning brushroll, so you never have to use scissors to cut away tangled hair and sucks them directly into the vacuum. Its versatility also allowed me to use it in every room on every surface. And personally, I love the autocord with the push of a button – genius!
- Brushroll Clean Technology removes tangles from the brushroll with the touch of a button
- SuctionSeal Technology concentrates airflow for a deep clean on carpets and bare floors
- On/Off brushroll turns on to deep clean carpets and off for scatterproof bare floor cleaning
- AirSpeed Technology moves more air and removes more dirt for a deeper clean
- Never loses suction, maintains powerful suction while vacuuming
- High efficiency allergen filter reduces dust and allergens
Electrolux ErgoRapido Lithium Ion Brushroll Clean Xtra, $149 (Bestbuy) / $129 (Amazon)
The Electrolux ErgoRapido Lithium Ion Brushroll Clean Xtra is the cordless, 2-in-1 stick vacuum with a lithium battery so it lasts for a long time without charging and it actually works better than a nickel battery operated vacuum by four times. And it’s actually two vacuums in one. First as a stick vacuum and then you can detach the integrated handheld to reach furniture, countertops and all that other crap your kids leave for you to clean up.
- High performance 14.4V Lithium turbo power battery for optimal cleaning performance, long run time and fast charge
- Thoroughly clean the bare floors in your home with the motorized brushroll and cordless convenience
- Patented self-cleaning brushroll – remove tangled hair from the brushroll with the touch of a button
- 180° EasySteer(TM) Maneuverability for smooth turning and movement
- 2-in-1 detachable handheld vacuum to clean above the floor
- Patented self-cleaning brushroll-remove tangled hair from the brushroll with the touch of a button
- 180 Degree EasySteer Maneuverability for smooth turning and movement
Like Roomba, people are incredibly passionate about their Dyson. And after using one, you’ll see why. The Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal vacuum might be an investment, but it’s because you’ll never have to buy anything else. You’ll never need a filter, comes with tons of accessories (it’s even got a bag for them), and you’ve got all you need to keep this vacuum going for years. What’s the real deal breaker? It never loses suction. The Dyson doesn’t move like any other vacuum either with the ball technology that allows it to move and get to places a normal vacuum wouldn’t. And for those of us with allergies, the Dyson Cinetic science captures allergens and bacteria and is engineered to ensure no dirty air escapes back into your home.
- Dyson Cinetic science
- No dirty filters to wash
- Self-adjusting cleaner head
- Dyson Ball technology
- Whole-machine HEPA filtration
So what vacuum do you have?