I’m always looking for cost-effective ways to keep my family happy, healthy and in the most natural way possible.
But with so many warnings, disclaimers and recalls on medication today, I am leery of giving them anything that may have long-time side effects. Essential oils, like coconut oil, fish oil and tea tree oil, have swept the nation as an alternative to relieve body woes. But does they REALLY work?
We’ve already shared about the benefits of adding fish oil to your daily regimen, but this product in the CVS/pharmacy radiance PLATINUM line is a staple for under my sink, my medicine cabinet, and even my makeup bag.
Tea tree oil is an essential oil with a fresh scent and color that ranges from pale yellow to sometimes colorless and clear. This pleasant oil is an “Aussie,” taken from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia tree, which is native to Southeast Queensland and the Northeast coast of Australia. Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties is best known as a treatment for acne and other skin conditions such as impetigo, fungal infections and dandruff. It seeps into your pores to remove the blockage, disinfects the pores and dries out whiteheads and blackheads. A small drop of it mixed with jojoba oil, which is an oil very close in character to the sebum your body naturally makes, can be a great makeup remover.
“Hello clear skin!”
Have you ever shampooed your hair with product that had tea tree oil in it? It leaves a tingly sensation in your scalp which helps loosen dirt and build up, stimulates growth and honestly feels very relaxing. You can DIY your own tea tree shampoo by simply adding five drops of oil to every eight ounces of shampoo. WALAH – a spa-like experience right at home and it’s like aromatherapy, too!
Tea tree oil is also 100% preservative free, natural, vegetarian and vegan – and makes it great for other household uses like:
- A multi-purpose cleaner – Add a teaspoon of oil to a gallon of water to get your windows, floors and kitchen surfaces squeaky clean.
- Pest control – Say bye bye to those pesky ants and other creepy crawly things. Wipe your surfaces with an oil and water solution at various points of entry, and the bugs are less likely to slide through.
- Mold & stain remover –Add two teaspoons of oil to two cups of water, spray on the mold or stain and wipe clean.
- Laundry freshener – Give your laundry detergent a little help by adding two teaspoons of oil to your clothes during the wash cycle. It will keep your washing machine clean and free of build up as well which means it will operate more efficiently.
- Diaper duty – Keep your diaper pail smelling fresh by spraying of solution tea tree oil right into the pail. It’s a natural way to keep your nursery odor free and your baby away from toxins.
The radiance PLATINUM tea tree oil comes in a 2 oz. bottle, but it’s highly encouraged to dilute the product with carrier oil to test sensitivity, so the bottle should last a while. Start with a 4:1 ration of carrier oil such as olive or almond to tea tree oil in the initial application to see if your skin and scalp can handle it.
Under no circumstance should you ever swallow tea tree oil. The side effects include severe rashes, stomach ache, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, drowsiness and possible coma. Unlike olive oil and coconut oil, keep it far away from your pantry where small children might possibly mistake it for an afternoon snack.
Like aloe vera, olive oil and avocado, tea tree oil occurs naturally and has several multi-use health benefits, so give this mate from “downunder” a try at your nearby CVS/pharmacy. AND…an additional way to ensure you get the best price for you, download the free CVS/pharmacy app today. Save time by looking online and the weekly ad to find out what is on sale so you can save the most money.