This easy, yet impressive recipe for pimento cheese gougères will impress your friends when you say it but even more when they eat it.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick, chopped into pieces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 grated extra-sharp cheddar
- 1 cup pimento cheese
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine milk, water and butter into sauce pan and bring to a boil over high heat until melted.
- Add flour and salt at once, reduce heat to medium and stir mixture with wooden spoon until it pulls away from sides of pan.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for one minute. Dough should be smooth, thick and shiny.
- Add the dough to stand mixer.
- Using paddle attachment, mix dough on low speed until dough is not seaming, but isn’t cool before adding eggs.
- One a time, add eggs, incorporating into dough before adding next egg.
- Next add cheddar and pimento cheese along with seasonings and mix until blended.
- Move dough to pastry bag or resealable plastic bag to create heaping tablespoons of dough, two-inches apart on pan.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 15-18 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees and continue baking for another 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.