- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 winter squash, pureed
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 6 ounces cheeses, grated (about 1 2/3 cups) (I like sharp cheddar and Monterrey Jack)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs and/or parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Boil macaroni and cook until tender but firm, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place pureed squash and milk into a large saucepan on medium heat and cook until the mixture is simmering.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the cheeses, Greek yogurt, salt, mustard and cayenne pepper. Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir to combine.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs/parmesan cheese over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until gold and bubbly.