This lemonade-inspired chicken includes a lemon marinate and lemon batter for the perfect mix of lemon, crispy chicken made in the oven.
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 5 chicken drumsticks
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or seasoning salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Cooking spray
- Mix half the lemon zest and the lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup water, sugar and whisk to dissolve.
- Add the buttermilk.
- Poke chicken fork and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in a plastic zipper bag.
- Add the marinade and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To batter the chicken: Mix panko, thyme, lemon zest, seasonings in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Shake to mix.
- In a bowl, add mayonnaise and roll chicken in mayo.
- Then add chicken to the bag and shake to coat.
- Spray the pan with cooking spray and to chicken.
- Bake until golden, about 35 minutes.
- Turn over and then bake until browned and crisp.