A healthy and easy alternative to stuffing at the Thanksgiving table or any dinner night entree filled with rice, quinoa and mushrooms.
- 2 acorn squash, halved crosswise, seeded
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, trimmed, diced (I like portobellos or crimini)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped finely
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 bags Minute® Multi-Grain Medley
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On baking sheet covered with foil, season inside of squash halves with olive oil, salt and pepper and lay open side down. Cover tightly with foil and roast until tneder, around 30 minutes.
- In a medium pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and seasonings. Saute until mushrooms are soft, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add Minute® Multi-Grain Medley rice and apple juice and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and allow to cook until liquid is absorbed (15-20 minutes.)
- Remove squash from oven.
- Remove 2 tablespoons of squash meat and stir into the mixture.
- Now divided rice mixture almong squash halves, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted (around 2 minutes.)