This is the best flavors of fall sandwiched together between two pieces of bread.
- 2 pieces bread (This is where crusty bread, especially gluten free does amazing!)
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, sliced (you can use leftovers)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 slice gouda cheese (or 3!)
- To make caramelized onions, melt tablespoon butter to a medium high skillet and add onions.
- Stir them around to not stick and let them begin breaking down.
- Add sugar and continue stirring. After a few minutes, add water and turn down heat to medium to let the water and sugar liquify into sweet sauce. Set aside.
- To cook brussels sprouts, melt butter to a medium hot skillet. Next add the brussels and still to cook.
- Depending on how you like yours, I like a little crunch, so let them get golden brown but not get completely wilted (I like a mix.)
- Next in another skillet add bread that’s been buttered on all sides.
- Let it get golden and add brussels sprouts and then onions.
- Lastly, add cheese and cover with slice.
- Let both sides get nice and golden.
- Serve immediately!
- You can use other cheeses, but Gouda has a great flavor and melts perfectly with these ingredients.