Chicken and waffles gets even better when it goes casserole! And with one sweet ingredient, you’ll be saying THIS IS the best damn chicken and waffles casserole.
I remember the first time I heard about chicken and waffles I was like…what? That doesn’t sounds good? Why is everyone freaking out about chicken and waffles?
…Then I had it.
Then I understood.
There’s something about the sweetness, the crunch, and the little bit of spice, sandwiched together into one perfect bite.
Yep, I like it…
But to time the fresh golden fluffy waffles at the same time as hot fried chicken is a little difficult and way more time consuming than I’m willing to put forward (or at least have time to!)
So in true #mamachallenge form, it was time to look to the world of semi-homemade and put it all together into one dish for a bigger dish of happiness.
Frozen waffles to the rescue!
Cooking everything together into Chicken and Waffles Casserole not only makes it easier on making, but also serving! And since you can make this in advance, this casserole is ideal for big breakfast/brunch moment like Christmas or when you really want to make an impression.
However, the impression really gets better when the chicken hits the tastebuds. One of our favorite chicken spots is hands down Chick-Fil-A. If you’ve had it, you know – it’s that good. There’s something about CFA and any drive by the eatery with lines of folks parked double-laned around the joint will verify – their chicken is THAT good. While I don’t know what makes it take like what dreams are made of, inspired by the sweetness of their chicken, we added powdered sugar to our breading, along with a little spice to cinch the deal on this chicken and waffles casserole.
Oh man, it’s THAT GOOD.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 powdered sugar
- 8 frozen waffles, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Serve with maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with the cooking spray.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Mix together the flour, powdered sugar, chilli powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Beat 3 eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Place the panko breadcrumbs into a third shallow bowl.
- Toss the chicken in the flour to coat, then dip into the egg, and then place in the panko, turning to coat. Place onto the prepared baking sheets and repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Spray the chicken with the cooking spray then bake, turning the chicken over halfway through, for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside.
- Grease an 8×13 inch baking dish.
- Add half of the cubed waffles in a single layer.
- Top with half of the chicken and 1/2 of the cheese then layer the remaining waffles and chicken and cheese.
- Whisk together 6 eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the chicken and waffles.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or refrigerate overnight and bake the next day.
- If you really want crispy chicken quick, you can opt to deep fry the chicken instead of baking!