Makes a great gift for the holidays!
- 1 can Grands refrigerated biscuits (any variety)
- 2 apples, diced (prefer honeycrisp for baking)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Apple Pie Spice (see recipe)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup half and half or whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix all the filling ingredients together into a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until apples are softened. Set aside to cool
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray.
- On a piece of wax paper, separate biscuits into 8 then into 16 thinner biscuits. Lay them on the wax paper and flatten them out a little.
- Spoon filling (no more than a tablespoon into each biscuit but leave one without filling.
- Now turn cooking pan on its end and begin layering biscuits to create a tower in the pan of biscuit, filling, biscuit, filling. However, place the last biscuit with no filling on the top. (The tower will not fill the whole pan.
- Now turn pan rightside and place biscuits equidistant in the center of the pan with no sides touching. (It won’t seem “right” but the biscuits should hold long enough while baking to expand to the ends.)
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Then remove foil and bake until brown (about 5-10 minutes.) Don’t let them brown too much (no one likes burnt biscuits!)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make icing, whisk icing ingredients together until thickened.
- Drizzle on top of loaf!
- To half biscuits in half longwise from eight biscuits to 16, keep biscuits cold as long as possible to make it easier to tear apart.